The Need for a New Playground
In the spring of 2016, the existing playground at the school was torn down to make room for new portables on the east side of the school yard. These much-needed portables provided the school with extra classroom space for the school’s growing population.
The school, in consultation with the Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools and The City of Red Deer Parks department, agreed that a new playground would need to be designed and built on a new location in the school field. The City of Red Deer determined the existing playground structure had reached its lifespan and was too outdated to be rebuilt at another location in the school yard.
Schools are individually responsible for providing funds to build playgrounds. Currently, Alberta Education does not provide funding for school playgrounds.
We need your support in raising enough funds to build a new playground!
The design phase of the project is already underway. The playground committee contacted three potential playground vendors and requested some concept designs that met the cost and scope of the project.
- The playground committee presented three potential playground concept designs to school administration.
- These playground concept designs were then put on display for students and parents of the school to view and vote on. Comments and suggestions were also collected.
- Votes for the concepts were totaled, and one design received the large majority of the votes.
- The playground committee is now working with a playground vendor to fine tune the design and create the final playground plans and budget.
Playground Quick Facts
- Project Budget: $90,000 - $120,000
- Estimated completion: Fall 2018
- Playground footprint: comparable to old playground (13.2m x 20.2m)
- Playground age: Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 2
- Playground surface may be constructed using recycled materials, including engineered wood chips, in place of sand.
- City of Red Deer Parks department will provide site preparation, maintenance, and construction assistance in-kind.
Please make cheques payable to Red Deer Catholic Regional Division #39. Please mail or drop off cheques at the school. You can also pay by credit card at the school office.